TorontoNightclub.com Home      Forums      Guestlists      Register Now!

Go Back   TorontoNightclub.com > Clubbing Related > Nightclub Related Topics
Nightclub Related Topics Do not post events in this room

Old 02-08-2004, 04:27 PM

Friends: (0)
Default Toronto Nightlife Promoters

Hmmmm, where to begin???

First off I'd like to say that this post is long overdue. I have been a member of TNC for years and have never really posted anything...
I prefer the gallery...however, I do find myself wondering over to the Forum just to see what's going on and see what others have to say...and it seems that there is a lot to be said...but there is no substance.

I understand that there are now an abundance of nightclubs in the downtown area...maybe too many..and the city seems oversaturated....but nightclubs are not the only oversaturation. It seems there are also an abundance of people who think that they are able to get 20 to 30 people together in a place that holds 600 and give themselves the prestigious knighthood of Toronto's Newest nightclub "PROMOTERS".

I'd like to clarify the term and define it for those who don't know what it means; this definition is according to Meriam Websters Online:

"PROMOTER: (noun) one that promotes; especially one who assumes the financial responsibilities of an event including contracting with the principals, renting the site, and collecting gate receipts"

The last time I checked (this past weekend) there were 3 promoters in the city of Toronto...ZRF, B&A, and JayT and Company...these three promoters have proved themselves over many, many years of hard work and determination...these people have what it takes to throw a "PARTY"...that's probably why all three of these promoters
have won awards and continue to entice us with their unique antics...(by the way...these awards cannot be purchased, this was once stated in another thread)

" ** Come to this party; Come to that party; This guy is starting a new party; That guy is starting a new party** "

Guess who these people are???...THEY ARE THE SELF PROCLAIMED ROCK STARS THAT THE THREE ORIGINAL PROMOTERS ONCE EMPLOYED!

I understand that there may be people out there who aspire to be great promoters...
...however, there seem to be an abundance of people who feel they have what it takes to put a party together and deem themselves a "Promoter". These are people who work for some nightclub on a flat fee of $50-$300/night (after splitting with all your buddies you're lucky if you're able to purchase a drink)....guess what people???....real promoters are paid in accordance to the number of people that come to the party...if you're one of these people on a flat fee, I'd like to let you know that you are lowering the standard of Toronto nightlife and it is a disgrace.

You people are inadvertantly making fun of the career that these people have chosen to do..you make it a joke, and it needs to stop. If you have no party, and any pride you will shut it down, because those few people that may walk in off the street, and the people in industry, see the lame party and they are laughing...

they are laughing at the fact that you were so arrogant and naive to think that it was so easy...this industy is not easy, and it isn't a joke...

I know that in the end, ONLY THE STRONG WILL SURVIVE...and only time will indicate who the strong ones are!!!
Old 02-08-2004, 04:43 PM
needing to update my status.

Send a message via MSN to Lil'C

Hmm...this would be a such a better post if it actually had some substance to it.
Hey Cultured, do you think TNC actually cares about your "definition" of what a promoter is? If you have a problem with someone, come out and say it...don't beat around the bush, especially with this being your 1st post :roll:
Old 02-08-2004, 05:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to JayT.tv
Default Classic.

Wow what a post!!! Cultured seems like your talking about all the *RockStars* in the industry?

LMFAO

Jay T.

"The Crowd Pleaser"
JAY T
Circa 1996

[url]http://www.myspace.com/jayt76[/url]
Old 02-08-2004, 05:57 PM

LOL...

I see one of the "SELF PROCLAIMED ROCK STARS" has posted....

Interesting Lil'C...."Lil'" is an abbreviation for "little"....I find it ironic you would name yourself as such....

who are you, and where are your parties????

I'm sure you'll tell me to click around the site to have to find out....and that you have an enormous following ...well guess what??? I've never heard of you....never been to any of your parties...

LOOK TNC.... LIL'LC-->A NEW ROCK STAR IS BORN....LMAO

I welcome the challenge of a negative reply to the post, because I know that only those who are guilty of the actions described are those who will be offended....

my post was not meant to offend...it was meant to inform; you can't throw 10 people in a room and call yourself a promoter...that's all I'm trying to say..."Promoter" is not a title someone can give themselves...it is something that is given to you!
For example; I, like everyone else can put a CD or record on, and you will hear music...is this reason enough to call myself a DJ?

I see your little picture says some sort of promoter status...please enlighten me ...what exactly are your accomplishments in this industry, how long have you been around, and where do you throw your "Parties"?????

-LOL
Old 02-08-2004, 06:37 PM

Location: Changing 'the way' Toronto Parties...Welcome to the game!

I am glad that some body started this thread. I am currently writing a book about becoming a promoter. I think that it is very interesting what you are saying about flat rates vs. paid per customer. I believe that itís speaks a lot of truth about promoters that can bring in 500 Ė 1000 people and get paid a percentage. However, this is the Toronto Nightclub Industry and stability offered to the promotion co. in the terms of a flat rate is more or less a notion of respect made by a club owner/ management. To me, it represents a symbol of trust and honour between parties.
With all due respect, I believe that Lilí C and selective other promoting groups are extremely good within the Toronto Nightclub industry. As my first employer within the promoting industry, lilí C has taught me to pay attention to the competition and continuously adjust the formats, as well as embracing new clubbers. Toronto Promoting companies such as Blastoff, B*A, Letís Bang and Platinum obviously spend money on marketing techniques that work, hence their growing clientele, packed clubs and lounges, and great example they set to their clients, the staff and the management. Lilí C (et al. mentioned above) provide the Ďfuní, that nightclub owners, managers and clubbers are looking for.

"THIS IS FOR MY PEOPLE, MY HAPPY PARTY PEOPLE" -C.H.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:44 PM

Cultured, you're soo smart - keep educating the massive 2

I don't claim to be a "Rock Star" buddy...trust me, that's not my style...secondly, if you actually knew how TNC works you'd know that when you pay for advertising on a monthly basis, the promoter title is automatically given to the payee. Got that part? Good.

You seem to be very chagrined at something Cultered...are you part of a promotions team that is upset with something? No balls to come forward with your identity?

To reply to your remark about not finding me on site, well, our company doesn't exist to "rule the world". We don't want to, don't plan to and don't try to in any sort of way. People who frequent the one-offs, the Bus Tours, the Boat Cruises and get-away trips that we provide would tell you that we're just a down-to-earth event promotions team that knows how to throw a party! Promoting parties is not the be-all and end-all...know what I mean?
Old 02-08-2004, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultured
who are you, and where are your parties????

I'm sure you'll tell me to click around the site to have to find out....and that you have an enormous following ...well guess what??? I've never heard of you....never been to any of your parties...

Actually I've been to some of Lil'c/Blast Off Promotions parties and they have been great. Maybe you dont know him or his company but alot of us do
Old 02-08-2004, 09:08 PM

This post kills me ! LMFAO
I can kinda see where "cultured" is coming from, he's got a point when you really think about the challenges and competition of this industry.

I don't know about other cities in Canada, but Toronto surely seems to be addicted to the "promoting bug". The true soldiers have been there, are there and will be there in the long run.

That's all :wink:

EUG
[img]http://members.rogers.com/domis/h2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://members.rogers.com/domis/i.jpg[/img]
Old 02-08-2004, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Here

But Clubs are all about H Y P E.
!

Can you guys please help me understand the term 'HYPE'. I'm just looking for some examples :lol: ?

One other thing; I applaud all Torontonians for the very many jobs well done 2

It's difficult to get people out in January/ February (cold, poeple are broke from christmas, snow, etc). Unlike Miami promoters, I believe that Toronto promoters have to have a certain edge, a flair...The Great Canadian flair

I'm just interested in what ya'll have to say... :wink:

Old 02-08-2004, 10:01 PM

while i usually lurk around the message boards to keep an eye on the pulse of what's going on in this city, i rarely post but sometimes i just feel the need. this is one of those times - the line has been cast and i'll bite.

cultured - you're right! this post is LONG overdue.

i know you surely don't speak for B&A (Bill and the gang do a great job and treat their clientele right), ZRF (Zark, Ralf and the rest of their crew - ditto) and Jay T (what can i say about Jay T that hasn't already been said ) directly, 'cause even they will surely agree that there are far more promoters out there that do their thing and have done so for quite some time (some alot longer than the so-0called top 3) without needing recognition from 'website' awards as an affirmation of their accomplishments. i could post a ton of articles and press clipping to prove it if you like but i don't really feel the need - their results speak for themselves.

do the names 'Milk', Junior Palmer, WABI, HotStepper (garage416), RNB or Steve Ireson, Solid Garage, Fukhouse, Pixelate, Leisure, REMG, Blue, Mono (to name a few) ring a bell? probably not, as you seem to think thee are only 3 legitimate promoters in this city - what a fucking joke. this is in no way disrespecting the three you've mentioned as they do a great job doing what they do but to say they are the only three 'real promoters' in this city is downright ignorant and sad.

you yourself set out the criteria:

"PROMOTER: (noun) one that promotes; especially one who assumes the financial responsibilities of an event including contracting with the principals, renting the site, and collecting gate receipts."

most of the companies you named work on a combination of flat fee along with other incentives and usually have most of their expenses covered by the venues they work for so according to your own criteria, NONE of these promoters are real promoters.

outfits such as 'soulutions', wabi, garage416, junior palmer, 'milk' usually pay for the artist fees, venue rentals, flyers and all other related promotional costs out of their own pockets (occasionally they receive corporate sponsorship) and they collect gate receipts to make up for their investment so to not include these guys who have been around for years throwing some of the best parties this city has seen shows your lack of knowledge about what really goes on in this scene. if you truly think that the three you metioned are the be all and end all of promoters in this city, you have ALOT to learn - alot!! know your shit before you post garbage on these threads you dumbass or get out there and experience what really goes on outside of the so-called "top 3"'s events'. you might be surprised to learn that are alot more outfits out there (some who have been around a really long time) that are highly respected event producers and promoters.

and to all the so-called newbie promoters, don't bite and even argue with this moron - all of these promoters he mentioned started out from nothing and slowly built their parties and reputations up over the years so just keep doing your thing, STAY HUMBLE, stay true to what you're doing, pay attention to the trends and your clientele and you'll do fine.

ttk

[img]http://img21.photobucket.com/albums/v63/the_twilight_kid/bananallama.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2004, 10:06 PM

Jealousy reins supreme of times...

Get some balls and SAY SOME NAMES of times. Reading your post i could see you being some older, 905er, Gino with an inflatted ego of times. I am sure you are an Alias and a close friend to those other 3 companies.

Toronto is second to London England clubbing in the world, and you are an idiot if you think that the entire scene is run on 3 promotion companies right now. I've been going to clubs since the early period, 1990-91... And i've seen and heard it all. All successful promoters work like mad men making thousands of phone calls, sending out thousands of mass emails, and printing thousands of flyers, working hard for the image.

So why are you dissing others whose who are doing the same thing?
Why are you biting the hand that feeds you?
Do You really think their are 3 kings in this city?
With almost 300 small lounges and clubs?

Anyone who thinks they are rockstars from promoting, is a looser period.
Hanging with slutty girls who live with their parnets, doing tons of lines of chouch in the bathroom, and getting off on power over who gets in the club...WOW YOU ARE COOL. And If anything, i don't see promoters acting like rock stars, i see club owners acting like rock stars. With their Jiggy cars parking wherever they please, blocking traffic.

So SAY SOME NAMES, stop your bitching...
Be a man, not a mouse. (And i just got a phone explaining to me the whole situation, who you are down with, and who you are mad at, but i will not say names, becsause you aren't so why should i?)

But chances are you won't beacuse you don't have the balls. You'll just be scratching your head tring to figure out who Goodtimes is while you should be tring to answer the real problem, your jealousy.

blah, blah, blah of times...
Old 02-09-2004, 02:06 AM

Friends: (1)

Don't diss the awards that recognize what the majority of people think Toronto's best promoters are. To be the best, the majority of people have to think you are the best. Not a small group of people in their own bubble thinking everyone else is missing the boat.

You will never be voted #1 unless the majority of people think so.

Toronto has a great deal of amazing promoters that can be seen in our promoter section. These are successful promoters that are great at what they do.

http://www.torontonightclub.com/promoters.htm
Old 02-09-2004, 04:25 AM

2 Good point GOODTIMES
Old 02-09-2004, 05:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to adnan
Default lol

I am not gonna even touch this topic, goodtimes and the kid made good points, also lilc has agreat response..keep up the good work.

I just wanted to make a couple of points and they are not meant towards anyone or in anyway a dis.

while in the initial post the people that make $50 were being dissed...Many companies have armys of those people which makes one wonders who is acually doing the work..the 20+ people working for that promoter or the promoter that hired them??makes you think?? Maybe TNC should revise the award system.....lol

TNC is a great site...but now there is many other clubsites around, and I am not saying any is better than other...but maybe each site cater to a certain crowd that frequant certain clubs but not others...in other words while the TNC awards does a great job, it is not the voice of all of toronto and I say it with total respect to this site....when its time for the awards its the promoter who sends the most emails and have the biggest email list that will get more votes.....havent seen anyone winning by just being a good promoter..... :roll:

another observation..the 3 promoters mentioned work at a total of 5 venues over a weekend and share some on different night..there is way over 20 clubs within a walking distance of all those venues and many are busy 2 or 3 nights a week and have many other promoters....draw your own conclusions.

some promoters are more known than others by how much noise they make on a clubwebsite not on how great their events are.

the only time a club will give a promoter a decent flat rate is when they have confidence in him...giving the door only or part of it is safer for the club...since if the club is dead they dont have to pay...I'll leave that to the club owners to response to..

once again this is just my opinion...cause if you look at my name I am only a supporter not a promoter......lol
Old 02-09-2004, 07:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to SmokinJOE Send a message via MSN to SmokinJOE

this thread is GAY... Capital G. A. Y.

...NEW "self proclaimed promoters" or whatever the hell you want to
call them are what gives this city SOMETHING TO DO.

Fuck the norm, and praise the people who are trying to get this city going.

Its simple...new ideas, fresh faces, cool new venues are what people
want.... Sure, the Superstar promoters like the ones you've mentioned
are usually the places to be on any given night...... Why not have the
option to try something NEW and DIFFERENT....that is why we have these
"self proclaimed promoters".

Hows bout you get your head out of your ass "Cultured" and open your
eyes to CHANGE. Its a wonder why this city is lacking, people like you
fill simple club goers with stupid "hate promoter" propoganda.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNightclub.com
Don't diss the awards that recognize what the majority of people think Toronto's best promoters are. To be the best, the majority of people have to think you are the best. Not a small group of people in their own bubble thinking everyone else is missing the boat.

You will never be voted #1 unless the majority of people think so.

Toronto has a great deal of amazing promoters that can be seen in our promoter section. These are successful promoters that are great at what they do.

http://www.torontonightclub.com/promoters.htm
my comment was not intended to take anything away from the TNC awards which are a great vehicle that recognizes those promoters which TNC members feel are the best.

kudos to TNC for pioneering the Toronto Nightclub Awards and for being the first (and only organization) to really recognize some of this city's talented promoters with an actual award and awards ceremony!

all i'm stating is the obvious - they (and 'cultured' remarks point to this fact) don't necessarily represent ALL of the promoters out there (some great, some not so great), who do their thing and put on their events without receiving any recognition. while it may be tougher for these people/groups to go about it on their own without using the excellent promotional services and forums offered by this site, nobody should take anything away from what they're doing as well.

ALL of the promoters listed on this site as well as TNC itself should be commended for their efforts and the hard work they have put in (since '93) in making this city and it's vibrant nightlife an example for all other cities worldwide and we certainly don't need anyone like 'cultured' to tell us otherwise. this comment is not an attempt to 'ball-wash' anyone or the site itself - it's just a plain fact! promoters use this site and it's services becasue they offer a great promotional 'boost' to those looking for an edge in these tough and competitive times. the only point i'm wishing to convey is that we shouldn't negate the efforts and accomplishments of others in the industry just because they aren't mentioned here.

rich, dan (and the rest of the TNC crew) as well as all the promoters and industry people here on this site that contribute to making our nightlife what it is -incredible and vibrant- keep up the good work!!

ttk

[img]http://img21.photobucket.com/albums/v63/the_twilight_kid/bananallama.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2004, 08:37 AM
Taking pics... lol

Friends: (304)
Send a message via Skype™ to Richard D President

All promoters deserve the respect and recognition for their hard work. Anyone that has promoted any event knows how much hard work goes into doing a night. "Big" or "small", Toronto appreciates what you do and keep the great parties coming!
Old 02-09-2004, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D President©
All promoters deserve the respect and recognition for their hard work. Anyone that has promoted any event knows how much hard work goes into doing a night. "Big" or "small", Toronto appreciates what you do and keep the great parties coming!
Old 02-09-2004, 08:52 AM
Taking pics... lol

Friends: (304)
Send a message via Skype™ to Richard D President

And Adnan is right, TNC is not the voice of the under 19 clubber! :wink:

Here's our current demographic...

Age 19-24 = 49%
Age 25-34 = 31%
Age 35 and up = 4%

10% were under 19 and are getting ready to club! We're here for you when you need us kids!
Old 02-09-2004, 08:54 AM

Quote:
10% were under 19 and are getting ready to club! We're here for you when you need us kids!

"RichD...Preparing kids for Stage 2...alcoholism!"

:lol:

*just kiddin dude..* 8)
Old 02-09-2004, 11:50 AM

Looks like a cat has caught Cultured's tongue...c'mon man, just come out and reveal your true identity. Who are you affiliated with?
Oh wait, I almost forgot...you only post when something really strikes a nerve right? No balls my man, simply no balls whatsoever. I guess you've read over this thread a few times and realized how retarted your post really wuz. Now go have another hissy-fit on some other site k?

Craig
Old 02-09-2004, 11:59 AM

This argument is ridiculous.....you have to start at the bottom to get to the top....

Didn't the now big promotors start at the bottom too? Think about it.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:10 PM

I agree with Petal.... 2

Cultured, how long do you think those 3 companies you mentioned will strive to promote for this city? till they're 60 years old? I don't think so....They've been promoting for this city for 5, 10, 15 years....the success/torch must be passed on to the young promoters, wouldn't you agree?

YES, some of the young promoters were employed by these veteran promoters.....they taught these them how to promote and the different "techniques" involved....and as always, the young will always go on their own at some point and strive to do better than the teacher....

Cultured, it is the inevadable...they have to start somewhere....they have to work hard....and I know for a fact, Blast Off Promotions strives amazingly for every party they throw....they're working hard and it's persons such as yourself that make Toronto party go-ers seem "un-cultured" to say the least.

What's worse, is if you are an alias, you make yourself look very much like an imbecile.

Anyway, good luck in your quest to find various dictionaries....lol
Old 02-09-2004, 12:17 PM

Unfortunately, Cultured isn't on a static IP.

All promoters have to start somewhere and if they stick with it long enough, they will become better and more popular. No need to diss the newcomers, they are needed in a city with so many nightclubs.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:31 PM
The World Is Mine!

Friends: (6)

Everyone is entitled to their opionions, but if your going to dish it, better be ready to take it.

I am not replying to your post because I am offended in the least bit. I run and operate an Events, Promotions and Marketing company and know what my place in the industry is, to promote nightlife in general and introduce new people to the scene.

Toronto is a huge city with many venues of all shapes and sizes thus requiring the need for mid-size promoters and small promoters not just 3 main promoters. How does one become a big promoter, they've got to start somewhere. Yes even the big guys had to take their lumps back in the day.

You are very ignorant in claiming that there is no room for any other promoters and that none of them are original as they all started from one of the big guys. Does this mean there should only be 1 club? 1 restaurant? 1 chef? 1 newspaper? 1 professional sports team? Aren't the rest knockoffs

For you to post this opinion as a fact, you must have some knowledge behind it. Are you yourself a promoter? Do you know what is invloved in all that encompasses promoting or are you merely basing your statement on a dictionary definition. I'm sorry, but it jsut isn't cut and dry like the dictionary says.

If you think you can make a difference in the industry, I would be more than happy to interview you for a job. Feel free to contact me.

Wild Rover Promotions
jobs@wildrover.ca
Old 02-09-2004, 01:46 PM

Friends: (3)
Send a message via MSN to RichieRich

For the record, I don't think there's anything wrong with what Cultured is saying. I have an issue with who he's having it with but that's open for debate.

The thing I have a problem with, and always have, is any new user who's first post is totally negative and puts someone in a bad light. The guys in charge of these boards have been doing it for over ten years and when something doesn't look right, they notice.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:28 PM

Cultured i have a question......did u by any chance used to work for a promotions company and now your bitter? is that why you posted this?
Old 02-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Do you love spice?

Friends: (4)

Interesting post Sh...err I mean Cultured.

I think it would have been far more interesting if you had done it under your own name.

Victor Storm
TNC
Old 02-09-2004, 05:56 PM

hey vic.

these kind of ignorant posts make me '..akey' with frustration. you?

ttk

Old 02-09-2004, 06:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to adnan
Default lol

I think after talking to victor....this post makes me more "...eify" more than "...eiky".......lol
Old 02-09-2004, 06:37 PM

sheiky.....shaky?? lol
Old 02-09-2004, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJOE
Quote:

"RichD...Preparing kids for Stage 2...alcoholism!"

:lol:

*just kiddin dude..* 8)
(It's a cute little interlude)I thought it was funny!!!(Not because I'm an alcoholic....)

Old 02-09-2004, 07:45 PM

Friends: (12)
Send a message via MSN to Lyta Crew Massive Send a message via Yahoo to Lyta Crew Massive

Is this dude going to respond or what?
[url]http://www.zu-bar.com[/url]
Old 02-09-2004, 08:22 PM

vic et al.

this thread is downright "..itty" if you ask me.

these ignorant *cough*promotertryingtobashrivalpromoter*cough* type of postsare pure jokes.

Quote:
if you're one of these people on a flat fee, I'd like to let you know that you are lowering the standard of Toronto nightlife and it is a disgrace.
no, cultured - YOU and your negativity and ignorance are lowering the standard of Toronto nightlife and THAT is truly a disgrace. let people do their thing or better yet, do your own thing if you think you can do better than the 'rock stars'.

ttk

Old 02-11-2004, 03:52 PM

What a stupid thread! :roll:

How can any one really believe there are only 3 successfull promotional companies in Toronto?! I can think of a bunch that could be put in that top 3, Four Nuts in Search of a Bolt are in the top 2 just for starters!!!
And just because a promoter isn't big, or mainstream, doesn't mean they are not throwing great parties.

There are promoters that can fill a large venue, promoters that can fill small venues. Promoters that can fill a room, and promoters promoters use to fill a room. Promoters for different music. Promoters for different ethnic groups. Promoters that throw parties every week and promoters that do only a few a year. Promoters that do theme parties, and promoters that bring the party on a bus.
They are all working hard, and most of them successfully, to bring a great party to their clientele and introduce new people to their events.

As for the up-and-coming promoters. Good luck to them. New blood is healthy. Some will rise, some will fall, but give them a shot.

CRAIG.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:51 PM

2 2 Craig!
Old 02-11-2004, 05:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to Andrew Mystery

I think Craig has pretty much put the finishing touches on this post!!!

1 BIG TEAM working together can take on the rest of the World in Clubbing!!!
Old 02-12-2004, 12:39 AM

Sometimes people do not care about being #1, but just throwing a great event.
Some people do not care about money, but just having a good time.

I agree with Craig, there are many people who we do not see or hear about that do amazing jobs, and then there is the guys who only make $100, but who cares.

Sometimes I see the guys that make the big bucks, and they are not happy or too busy to enjoy it, then you see the guys who get little money and little shine, yet they are having a great time.

Who said measuring the success of a promoter is based on money they make or ow many people they pull.

Sometimes I repsect those that can keep the fun they have been having since day 1 and not let the busines ruin them.

Respect to all the good promoters, the bad promoters, the legit promoters, and anyone who has tried to throw a good party. Wether you have succeeded or failed, you deserve credit for trying.

Facebook Comments

Share This on